You need a new ERP system. Your first move would be to pick up a telephone and call the local experts. Before you do though you need to some up with some information. No matter how skilled your dealer may be there is certain information that will help the project along
- Break it down: come up with a detailed model of your operations and processes. Every business is different; know what yours is all about before you set out on your journey.
- Identify what is directly related to your success or failure in certain areas: Would those operations or processes become better or more efficient by adding in automation and/or more accurate record keeping?
- Make a list of the needs: You will not find a solution to answer every single little want, so defining what you cannot live without, what you NEED, is extremely important. Be sure to rank them on a scale of importance- this will make choices easier later on in the process.
- Find a reputable reseller: Going through an ERP reseller is different than working with the publisher directly. It will be up to you to make that call in the end but here is some food for thought: resellers have experience in many different products and since many will represent multiple ERP solutions they are not tied down to giving you only one choice. This will give you more option and a better chance of finding the right ERP for your company. Make sure to do your research and choose a reseller (or publisher if you want to go that route) who will get the job done in your time frame and in your budget
- Work Together as you choose your solution: it is important here to stick to your plan while also being open to the reseller’s opinions. You may be positive that “Software A” would be best for you, but you could be wrong- be open to “Software B” if it makes more sense…you may know your business like the back of your hand but the reseller will know the ins and out of the product, as long as you have a detailed description of your needs your software reseller will take you the rest of the way- work together!